PINE SWISS STONE
30 – 40'
15 – 20'
4 – 7
Swiss stone pine or arolla pine is native to mountain areas in central Europe from the Alps to the Carpathians. It is a slow-growing, medium-sized pine with a narrow pyramidal shape in its youth, gradually becoming rounded and more open as it matures. It typically grows 30-40’ tall in cultivation, but will grow to 100’ tall in the wild in its native habitat. Soft, dark green needles (2-5” long) appear in bundles of five. Short-stalked, oblong cones (to 2.5” long) are greenish purple when young, maturing to purplish-brown. Cones never open. Cone seeds are edible. The pine nuts consumed as food in Europe primarily come from the stone pines, namely, this species and P. pinea (Italian stone pine).
Easily grown in average, medium, well-drained soils in full sun. Tolerates some light shade. Tolerates a wide range of soils, but prefers sandy loams.
Healthy, well-maintained trees usually have few problems. Resistant to blister rust.
Good specimen pine for smaller landscapes.
|PINSST550||PINE SWISS STONE 50 CT GRO PLUG||500||F20-S21*|
*see availability legend below
Learn About Our Grow Process
- 50GP = One year from seed, sold 50 trees per tray, 3 tray mix/match minimum
- 18 Ct Tray = Two years from seed/cutting, 3 tray mix/match minimum
- #1 Container = 3 year old tree container grown
- #5 Container = 5 year old tree container established
- T Bedrun = 4 year old field grown bare root liners/bed run
When products are available
- FALL 2020 - SPRING 2021